Your search found 1 Results
IPPF Situation Report, January 1974. 4 p.The New Zealand Family Planning Association, Inc. (FPA) was founded in 1935 and became a member of IPPF in 1955. In 1975 the government recognized the group's work, for the 1st time made space available for clinic activities, and is permitting Health Dept. doctors to devote sessions to family planning. In 1973 the government donated NZ$18,000 to purchase equipment for new clinics and has provided financial assistance for work in lower income areas. It is estimated that 40% of eligible women are using effective contraception, particularly orals. Prescriptions for orals are generally obtained from private doctors, particularly in rural areas with no family planning clinics. In 1972 the FPA ran 19 clinics, ran an active program of group meetings and press information, and distributed 104,320 copies of leaflets, posters, and pamphlets. 42 doctors were given special family planning training. Trials were undertaken on Copper 7 IUD, Noriday, Depo-Provera, and chlormadnone. In 1973 the number of clinics was increased to 25. Most of the new clinics were in lower socioeconomic areas with equipment purchases subsidized by the government.