5 Ways POPLINE Can Enhance Your Work
Full Text of Population and Public Health Documents Delivered to You
POPLINE provides thousands of links to the full text of a wide variety of documents. But POPLINE does not stop there. For low- and middle-income country users who have little or no Internet access, POPLINE delivers the full text directly. To order documents from POPLINE:
1. Select the documents you wish to receive from the results of your POPLINE search by clicking on the 'Add to Basket' icon. How to Use My Basket
2. Please limit your request to 15 documents per day or fewer.
3. Choose E-mail (PDF) or Mail document delivery.
- Email: documents will be sent in the Adobe Acrobat Portable Document Format (PDF).
- Mail: You will receive a photocopy by airmail. Please allow up to 6 weeks for airmail delivery.
4. POPLINE cannot provide rush service. Most requests are processed within 2 working days from date received.
United States Copyright Law
POPLINE provides documents in accordance with the United States Copyright Law. These restrictions apply to the document copy that a requester receives. Please review the following:
WARNING CONCERNING COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted materials.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One specified condition is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
POPLINE Thesaurus – Expert guidance in constructing your searches
Many of POPLINE’s users want to create individualized searches that meet very precise information needs. POPLINE’ s controlled vocabulary helps them find the concepts that describe their information need and frees them from the task of collecting all the words and phrases that express these concepts. We provide two tools to access and use this helpful searching resource:
POPLINE Thesaurus Online
Updated for 2014, the Web-based Thesaurus contains 2,000+ keywords used to index POPLINE documents. Interactive links to term definitions and broader, narrower and related terms provide a conceptual roadmap to the documents in POPLINE.
A User's Guide to POPLINE Keywords
A User's Guide to POPLINE Keywords is a searchable, printable, listing of the POPLINE keywords in PDF format. Updated December 2014, the Tenth Edition updates the thesaurus to better reflect current scope coverage in POPLINE. The revision process included streamlining certain hierarchies, as well as adding new terms to facilitate searching mHealth concepts. We have included a supplement describing the changes made to this latest edition. This tool is particularly helpful for users who want to formulate their search strategy offline prior to entering their search requests.
Read more about: POPLINE Thesaurus: Its Role in Knowledge Management
One of POPLINE’s benefits is its flexibility in providing very individualized searching capability. POPLINE users can find information on their specialized work and interests by combining terms from the User's Guide to POPLINE Keywords with words and phrases used in their work.
But, in addition, POPLINE is a primary source for more general information on family planning, reproductive health, gender, health communication, HIV/AIDS/STIs, maternal-child health, population, and demography. Many of these information needs are shared by multiple POPLINE users.
POPLINE searches these popular topics in advance and arranges them in a browsable display. Users can choose one of the broad divisions of POPLINE’s subject scope, scan its subdivisions, and follow these down to more specific topics. At any point on this hierarchical map, users can initiate automatic and instant search of the chosen topic. These subject searches are organized into 12 categories containing over 400 instant searches.
Customized searches of the POPLINE database
- would like bibliographic information and access to full text documents from POPLINE
- prefer that an experienced POPLINE searcher design a customized search strategy for you
- are affiliated with an academic, governmental,NGO or other qualified organization in a developing country
Then, POPLINE custom searches might be your perfect solution. Tell Us about you and your information needs.
Central to POPLINE’s mission is sharing knowledge that has been created, synthesized, or captured in the field. Developing country program managers and planners, policymakers, health care providers, researchers and teachers are not only the primary intended audience for POPLINE. They are also prime knowledge sources.
- POPLINE users who have written papers, developed educational materials, or prepared reports or bibliographies on subjects covered in POPLINE.
- Staff members of organizations who have prepared these materials.
What? Share the papers and publications you and your organization produce with POPLINE, including:
- Unpublished or informally published papers;
- Research or project reports;
- Training or educational materials;
- Tools for performing and managing your organization’s work;
- Statements of policies and procedures;
- Advocacy and communication materials.
How? If possible, check to see if your publication is already in POPLINE before sending. Documents are welcome in either electronic (Word, PDF etc.) or paper format. Please send the entire text or link to the full text to:
Center for Communication Programs
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
111 Market Place, Suite 310
Baltimore, Maryland 21202 USA